From bitter experience, I know that New Year’s Resolutions are destined to fail. A year is an unfathomably long time, and there is no possible way I can plan that far. However, this year is different in that a lot of it is already planned for me. I will be living in Derbyshire, and doing Dialectical Behavioural Therapy twice a week. Which is probably going to be exhausting and take up a lot of my power. It also means that I want to look after myself a bit better. I can’t very well fix my brain if I’m tired, sick, or hungover.
I last made a set of goals in September. Of those goals, all I’ve managed to do is the dentist one. I got 4 fillings but think I need to go back because the most recent filling hurts. The pain has actually kept me awake a couple of nights. Oh, I also got a bike, because Daddy bought it for me. I rode some, but I admit that my lack of fitness and lack of road confidence have led to me not doing as much as I ought to. Also it has rained for the last 6 weeks so I refuse to go outside.
Journal writing has been up and down. I was doing well until December, I think. I did submit something, and got published! Now to submit something else… I also managed to take a massive backwards step by starting smoking again. Maybe that’s why I now have a hacking chest cough.
So, here are some new goals for the first bit of 2016:
- Bike more places. Maybe do a cycling course so I don’t die in traffic.
- Train up for half marathon in July, 3-5 days/week.
- 5k & 10k runs. Like the Parkrun.
- Find a yoga class or similar.
- Eat in a sustainable way with actual nutrients and not just cheese.
- Quit smoking, again.
- Drink once or twice a week, at most.
- Complete editing and design cover for poetry pamphlet, by April.
- Polish and submit poems and short stories I already have.
- Write more stuff.
- Keep blogging.
- Get some work experience/do some journalism/something something professional writer.
- Do NaPoWriMo in April.
- Daily freewriting.
- Get in touch with local groups and see what I can do.
- Do the therapy and homework (without constant sarcasm).
- Fill in mood diary sheet every day.
- Go to hypnotherapy that the amazing Si is giving me for free!
- Tidy my room. It’s getting serious in here.
- Paint some stuff.
- Learn to crochet.
- Plan some actual holidays and adventures to do during the breaks.
OK. That’s a ridiculous amount of goals. I’ll check back in 3 months and see what’s happening. Positive thinking says I will have made great progress in that time. Experience says “HAHAHAHAHAA!!! Get to fuck will you?!”